Home Events & Fairs Contact Us Links Making A Purchase Spotting Fakes

Cabinet Makers

 

Bayley & Blew

Bayley, Son & Blew were listed as perfumers in 1779 on Cockspur Street, Charing Cross, London. In addition to manufacturing perfume the company also made small cabinets and portable writing desks. In 1849 the company went by the name William Bayley & Co, perfumers and dressing case makers to the Royal Family.

 

Edwards

David Edwards of 21 King Street, Bloomsbury Square was Writing Box and Case maker to the Royal family and inventor of the patent military travelling case. He also made tea chests, jewellery boxes, sewing boxes and canteen cases of the highest quality. He and his brother Thomas were also known to have worked from James Street and Orange Street. Edwards was known for using the highest quality timbers, intricate inlaid brass, decorative handles and complex mechanisms for secret compartments. He was bought out by Asprey in 1859 and had two royal warrants from King George IV and Queen Victoria.

  

George Betjemann & Sons

George Betjemann started as an apprentice cabinet maker from a young age working for his Father in Law.
In 1848, his two sons George William Betjemann and John Betjemann joined him under apprenticeships until 1846 when George William Betjemann started his own business with his two sons. In 1859 George moved to a new premises on Pentonville road, London. This was when the business became known as "Betjemann & Sons".

John Betjemann was grandfather of the later famous poet laureate Sir John Betjemann.

 

Gillow

Robert Gillow of Lancashire was an apprentice joiner and cabinet maker. He joined the Sattersthwaite family on a journey to the west indies as a ship carpenter. Whilst in Jamaica he developed a strong interest in Mahogany and returned, with samples of the wood, to Lancaster 1720. This may have been the first time Mahogany was imported to England. In 1730 he founded the luxury furniture and furnishings firm "Gillow of Lancashire". The firm soon gained a reputation for supplying the highest quality furniture and furnishings to the wealthiest families in the country.

 

Halstaff & Hannaford

William Halstaff of 68 Margeret Street, Cavendish Square, London started manufacturing dressing cases in 1825. In 1842 he went into business with Thomas Charless Hannaford. They worked from Regent Street, London, calling themselves Halstaff & Hannaford, making ladies' work boxes, writing boxes and dressing cases until 1898.

 

Jenner & Knewstub

Originally located at 33 James’ Street, London after being established in 1856 by Frederick Jenner and Fabian James Knewstub. After having their work displayed at international exhibitions they soon obtained royal warrants for queen Victoria and the Russian royal family. The company went into liquidation in 1889 but retained the Jenner & Knewstub name trading as a limited company after merging with A. Webster & Co.  

 

Leuchars

Leuhchars of 47 Piccadilly, London established in 1794 by James Leuchars. The business moved to 38 Piccadilly in 1820 shortly before James Leuchars Died in 1822. James' Widow, Lucy Leuchars, continued the business. In 1837 the firm received a royal warrant for the supply of dressing cases to the royal family.

 

Turrill

John Turrillof 52 New Bond Street, London was a famous maker of dressing cases, Writing desks, Work boxes and leather travelling cases from 1834 - 1856

 

Wells & Lambe

Wells & Lambe was formed in 1815, by J.Wells and John Lambe. They were originally based at 44 New Bond Street, London with a second premises at 29 Cockspur Street, which appeared to have been their main base between 1817 and 1825. They were makers to the Duke of Northumberland and some of their later pieces show that they were also makers to Queen Victoria.