In 1830 Charles Christofle became the manager of a Jewellery Workshop which belonged to his wife's family. Producing fine silver flatware and home accessories created by many famous artists and designers including Antoine Perrin, Man Ray, Jean Cocteau, Gio Ponti, Andrée Putman, Martin Szekely, Ito Morabito and Richard Hutten. Today the company is still owned by the Christofle family.
Garrard & Co
The company known as Garrard was founded by George Wikes. He set up business in Threadneedle Street, London 1722 and later moved to Panton Street in 1735. Garrards was known as a provider of jewellery and luxury items to aristocratic patrons. Robert Garrard became a partner in 1972 and ended up taking sole control in 1802 with his three sons. In 1843 Queens Victoria appointed Garrard the position of Crown Jewellers, which lead to the firm making numerous pieces os jewellery and silverware for the Royal Family. The position also included the upkeep of the Crown Jewels.
Hukin & Heath
Silversmiths and electroplaters of Birmingham, established by Jonathan Wilson Hukin and John Thomas Heath, who registered London marks in 1879. When Hukin retired in 1881 the partnership continued with Heath and J. H. Middleton. The firm's association with Dr. Christopher Dresser began in 1877; the first registered design dates from 1878, and others were entered up to 1881. Dresser's designs were launched at the opening of the firm's showrooms in Charterhouse Street in August 1879. Some of Dresser’s metalwork designs are still in production today.
Keith Murray was a renowned designer who worked in field of glass, ceramics and metalware from 1920 to 1939. He trained and worked as an architect until the late 1920s when the great depression forced him to seek work elsewhere. Murray ended up working freelance for Brierley Hill and part time for Wedgewood.
His metalwork was for the firm Mappin & Webb in silver and silver-plate. The designs were mostly geometric and modern in form.
Mappin & Webb
John Newton Mappin and his brother in law George Webb started an electroplating and cutlery firm in 1868. The firm had a large showroom on Norfolk street which displayed the silverware and electroplate. By 1897 the company was granted a Royal Warrant. In the 1980s the firm was taken over by Asprey & Co, but was later sold to the Jewellers Goldsmith group.
Today Mappin & Webb is silversmith to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales Prince Charles.
Walker & Hall
George Walker established the business in sheffield, 1845. As an Assistant to Dr. John Wright, who had conducted important experiments on electroplating methods, Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. In 1853 the business was joined by Henry Hall and became "Walker & Hall". The Factory was in Sheffield with showrooms in London with branches opening in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow and many other major cities.
In 1920 the business was converted into a limited liability company under the name "Walker & Hall Ltd" and later combined under the British Silverware Ltd with Elkington & Co and Mappin & Webb.
The birmingham firm was established by William Neale in 1850. The firm later became William & Sons after the partnership of William Neale senior, William Neale junior and Arthur Neale and acquired a new premises at 29 Warstone Lane, Birmingham in 1896