Home Events & Fairs Contact Us Links Making A Purchase Spotting Fakes

Retailers

 

Asprey

Asprey was established in 1781 by William Asprey, and was originally set up to be a silk printing business, but soon became a luxury emporium. Located in central London, Asprey advertised 'articles of exclusive design and high quality, whether for personal adornment or personal accompaniment and to endow with richness and beauty the table and homes of people of refinement and discernment.' As the business grew the company acquired several manufacturing facilities and hired silversmtihs, goldsmiths, jewelers and watchmakers including Ernest Betjeman. In 1859 Asprey bought Edwards, a Royal Warrant holder and award winning dressing case maker. In 1862 Asprey was granted its first Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria and the company enjoyed a long relationship with various members of the British Royal Family.

 

John Jaques of London

In 1795 Thomas Jaques set up a manufactory of turned ivory, bone, hardwoods and Tunbridge Ware. His son John Jaques became an apprentice at the manufactory aged fifteen, and five years later became a partner.
The company gained a reputation for publishing games and had exclusive rights for the manufacture of the ‘Staunton Chess Set’ designed by Nathaniel Cooke in 1849.
The company would be later known as Jaques & Son of London and would go on to be exclusive distributers of games such a Tiddledy-Winks, Snakes and Ladders and Ludo.
Jaques is the oldest games company and manufacturer in the world, after being passed down for six generations, and are still trading today.

 

Parkins & Gotto

William Parkins and Henry Jenkin Gotto established Parkins & Gotto at 2, Hanway Street, Oxford Street, London in the 1840s. In the 1850s the company moved to 23 & 25, Oxford Street and were noted for carrying a huge variety of high quality stock. In 1892, the firm was passed on to Henry Gaisford Gotto who entered the first marks 'HGG' at the London Assay Office. In 1894 Henry Gaisford Gotto passed away and the business continued under Christopher Lamb Gotto, who entered a second set of marks, 'CLG', at the London Assay Office.

 

Lund

Thomas Lund had established his London Business in 1804. In 1835 his son William Lund opened his own retail outlet on Fleet Street, London. In 1845 Thomas passed away and William would go on to run both businesses. His son Charles took over the business when William died in 1872 and continued to operate under the name William Lund & Son.

 

Mappin & Webb

John Newton Mappin and his brother in law George Webb started an electroplating and cutlery firm in 1868. The firm had a large showroom on Norfolk street which displayed the silverware and electroplate. By 1897 the company was granted a Royal Warrant. In the 1980s the firm was taken over by Asprey & Co, but was later sold to the Jewellers Goldsmith group.
Today Mappin & Webb is silversmith to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales Prince Charles.